It's Membership Renewal Time!
Yes, it's that time of year! Annual membership renewals are due by December 31st. We have a great Center and it is due entirely to the generosity of our Members. Please click here to download the renewal form.
COMING SOON - "The Common Game"
We are excited to announce that effective January 1, 2016, all of our games will be included within the nationwide "Common Game" platform. As part of this program, our players will receive the following benefits at no additional cost:
- Game results will be emailed to you as soon as they are posted.
- Access to postmortom analyses of interesting hands.
- Personal game history. You can track your progress.
- Masterpoint scoring at the local level with the opportunity to compare results across the country.
Click here to learn more.
Click here to visit The Common Game website.
St. Louis Bridge Center has a BIG HEART
The LONGEST DAY event was an enormous success! Not only did our team raise awareness of the devastating disease of Alzheimer’s, but it also raised more than $33,000 for the treatment of and research. The St. Louis Bridge Center now ranks 3rd in the nation among the participating ACBL teams, and our Team Captain Linda Powers ranks 1st among individual captains. Click here to read more.
St. Louis Bridge Center jumps to #9 from #15 -in ACBL Top Clubs!
The ACBL just released their listing of the Top 50 Clubs for 2014. Thanks to the efforts of our members, St. Louis Bridge Center was ranked #9 with 10,112.5 tables, a 13% increase over last year's 8,942.5 tables. This is a tremendous achievement for us in our second full year. This achievement is due entirely to our dedicated and supportive members. Thank you for supporting SLBC! Click here to see the full list.
Games for Beginners/Novices/Intermediates
Are you new to bridge? Or perhaps you have been playing for awhile but are still developing your skills? At SLBC we have games for all levels of newer players! Click here to learn more.
Game / Training Announcements
GAME SCHEDULE CHANGES - We have made the following changes to our game schedule. These are all in response to requests from our Members. To see a complete list of our game offerings, click on the "Game Schedule" link on the left.
- Tuesdays at 10am - NEW 0-499er game. This is a perfect game for intermediate players who have graduated out of the 199er and 299er games.
- Wednesdays at 6:30pm - The 0-49er game has changed to 0-99er.
- Thursdays at 10am - The 0-199er game has changed to 0-299er.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON GAME - Remember that we have a regular game on the First Sunday of every month. It is a Swiss Team Game hosted by Phyllis at 1:00pm. Click here to learn more.
ACBL BRIDGE TRAINING SERIES (2016 Classes Added) - St. Louis Bridge Center is proud to announce that we will be offering the complete ACBL Bridge Series program. This program was originally designed by world class educator, Audrey Grant. Click here to learn more.
EVENING GAME PROMOTION - For a limited time we are offering discounts on all of our evening games - Now only $7 for Members and $9 for Guests (regular prices are $9 and $11 respectively).
BRIDGE IN A DAY! - Phyllis Siegel continues to add new Bridge-in-a-Day sessions due to the overwhelmingly positive responses we have received from our students. This is a popular program designed by the ACBL to allow you the ability to learn to play the great game of bridge in just one day. For only $80 and one day of training you will be ready to begin playing bridge in our daily games. Click on the "Training & Education" link on the left to learn more.
Visiting Artist Series
We are fortunate to have an exhibit of watercolors by Florine Porter. Many of her works have been in juried shows, and this includes two which are currently on display at the Bridge Center - "Sunrise in Giverny" won the Judge’s Choice Award 2013 from the St. Louis Watercolor Society, and "Afternoon in Florence" received Honorable Mention.
Florine Porter is originally from Pinckneyville, Illinois. She began studying oil painting at the age of ten and during high school took community courses in art at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. She continued her study of drawing and painting at the University of Illinois- Champaign campus, where she obtained a degree in Graphic Design. She worked as a typographer for Rockwell International-Graphic Systems Division and MGD Graphic Systems in Chicago. After moving to Vandalia, Illinois, Florine did free lance artwork and book illustrations. When her daughters went to school, she put away her brushes and obtained an elementary teaching certificate from Greenville College and a Master’s Degree in reading from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired and turned her focus back to art, determined to master the technique of watercolor. She enjoys plein air painting and maintains a watercolor travel journal when traveling in Europe, the Caribbean and throughout the United States.
Additionally we are displaying photographs by Michael Pitonak.
Photo of the Month
One of the groups enjoying the Barbara Seagram Seminar
See more photos by selecting the "Photo Gallery" link on the left.
Important Upcoming Events
- November 21 - Club Membership Game at 6:00pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- November 24 - Charity Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. Help support ACBL charitable causes. $1.00 additional game fee.
- November 26 - Thanksgiving. Center will be closed - Happy Thanksgiving!
- November 28 - Club Championship Game at 6:00pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- December 3 - Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- December 11 - Unit Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- December 16 - Club Championship Game at 6:30pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- December 20 - Non-Life Master/Life Master and Club Championship Game at 1:00pm. Life Masters pair up with Non-Life Masters for this great pairs game! Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- December 24 - Christmas Eve. Center will be closed in the evening, but OPEN during the day.
- December 25 - Christmas Day. Center will be closed - Merry Christmas!
- December 31 - New Year's Eve. Center is open all day AND Janet and Mike Vontz are hosting their Annual SLBC New Year's Eve Game. 6:00pm Social Hour and Food. 7:00pm Bridge.
- January 1 - New Year's Day. Center is open for all regular scheduled games.