ACBL-Wide Charity Game (04/02/15) Results
Thank you to those you played in the ACBL-Wide Charity Game #1. These hands were played nation-wide throughout various clubs, so results, hand records, and hand analysis must be kept private until Friday morning. Click here after Friday morning to study the hand analysis that is available for Thursday's game.
Barbara Seagram is coming to SLBC!
We are delighted to host Barbara Seagram for a three-part seminar event on Friday, June 12, and Saturday, June 13. The co-author of 18 bridge books, including the award winning 25 Bridge Conventions You Should Know (written with Marc Smith), she is a Gold Life Master player, a Master Teacher, served on the ACBL Board of Governors from 1997-2009, and received the Audrey Grant Award for Teaching Excellence in 2011. She and her husband run the Barbara Seagram School of Bridge in Toronto, where she teaches over a thousand new students a year to play the game of bridge. This is a very special opportunity for St. Louis Bridge players and we expect the seminar to fill up quickly.
To learn more about this special educational opportunity, please click here.
Help Us Raise Money to Fight Alzheimer's Disease
The St. Louis Bridge Center is proud to announce that for the second year in a row it has formed a team, as part of the ACBL and Alzheimer’s Association’s THE LONGEST DAY event, to raise funds for and awareness of Alzheimer’s disease. Co-chairs Linda Powers and Jane Ettelson hope to raise more than $10,000, through charity games, donations, proceeds from a silent auction and a marathon day of bridge Sunday, June 21st, the longest day of the year.
For Linda Powers, the stakes are personal - her husband has early stage Alzheimer’s. For the rest of us, we either do, or will know someone afflicted by, or caring for a loved one with this disease.
Last year you showed that not only are we a group of people who like to play duplicate bridge, but we are also a powerful community willing to work together in support of a worthy cause. We raised over $10,000 and ranked 9th among participating ACBL Teams!
The end to Alzheimer’s can start with us. author unknown
For more information about this event, please click here. To join our team or to make a contribution on-line, click here.
St. Louis Bridge Center is #15 in ACBL Top Clubs!
The ACBL just released their listing of the Top 50 Clubs for 2013. Thanks to the efforts of our members, St. Louis Bridge Center was ranked #15 with 8,942.5 tables. This is a tremendous achievement for us in our first full year. This achievement is due entirely to our dedicated and supportive members. Thank you for supporting SLBC! Click here to see the full list.
Games for Beginners/Novices/Intermediates
Are you new to bridge? Or perhaps you have been playing for awhile but are still developing your skills? At SLBC we have games for all levels of newer players! Click here to learn more.
Game / Training Announcements
SUNDAY AFTERNOON GAMES - Remember that we have regular games on the first two Sundays of every month. These are great games with great people:
- First Sunday: Swiss Team Game with Phyllis - 1:00pm. Click here to learn more. NOTE: Due to Easter Sunday, April game is moved to April 19.
- Second Sunday: Open Pairs Game with Hatchie - 2:00pm. April 12th is a Club Championship Game - earn more points! Click here to learn more.
ACBL BRIDGE TRAINING SERIES - St. Louis Bridge Center is proud to announce that we will be offering the complete ACBL Bridge Series program. This program was originally designed by world class educator, Audrey Grant. Click here to learn more.
TRY DUPLICATE WITH PHYLLIS - No stress, no pressure games for new players (0-20 Masterpoints). You can even ask for advice! For more information download the flyer.
EVENING GAME PROMOTION - For a limited time we are offering discounts on all of our evening games - Now only $7 for Members and $9 for Guests (regular prices are $9 and $11 respectively).
BRIDGE IN A DAY! - Phyllis Siegel continues to add new Bridge-in-a-Day sessions due to the overwhelmingly positive responses we have received from our students. This is a popular program designed by the ACBL to allow you the ability to learn to play the great game of bridge in just one day. For only $80 and one day of training you will be ready to begin playing bridge in our daily games. Click on the "Training & Education" link on the left to learn more.
Visiting Artist Series
We are pleased to showcase some great artwork by local artist Mary Dee Schmidt. Her artwork is currently on display at SLBC. Mary was awarded an art scholarship to college and has continued to pursue her love of art as watercolorist and painting instructor. She has taught on many levels: high school, junior college, Laumeier Sculpture Park and St. Louis Artist Guild.
For the past 25 years, she has been an instructor in plein air painting at the Missouri Botanical Garden and for 10 years led a class in the Rocky Mountains-Crested Butte, Colorado. She also offers private classes on site at many locations throughout the region.
Mary Dee’s commissions include watercolors of client’s homes, landscapes and floral designs. Her works are on display in many homes and businesses across the United States.
will have a number of their paintings on view at the Center throughout the summer. We hope you enjoy the exhibit!
Free Learning Opportunity - Post-Game Analysis
We are currently offering a Post-Game Analysis session after every Thursday morning game. This is a FREE benefit to SLBC members. One of our experienced players (“pro”) will be available after the game to spend about 15-30 minutes reviewing the hands that were played in the session. The attendees can ask questions about hands that were troublesome for them and/or the pro may have a couple of examples that he/she noted during the game. This is a tremendous opportunity to help players of all levels improve their game while the hands are still fresh in their minds. It is also another benefit of playing at SLBC.
SLBC Helps Fight Alzheimer's Disease
Thank you for making our LONGEST DAY EVENT an enormous success. Not only did our team raise awareness of the devastating disease of Alzheimers, but it also raised nearly $14,000 for the treatment of and research into this disease. Click here to read more.
Larry Cohen Seminar was a Huge Success!
Larry Cohen’s first appearance at St. Louis Bridge Center was a huge success. Over 125 players attended one or more of his seminars on “Slam Bidding”, “Avoiding Finesses”, and “Defense- Helping Partners/Signals.”
Before leaving, he donated three books to the Bridge Center’s library: To Bid Or Not To Bid, Following The Law, and Bidding Challenge. We look forward to his next visit to St. Louis.
Photo of the Month
Another great group of students in Phyllis Siegel's first "Bridge in a Day" class for 2015!
See more photos by selecting the "Photo Gallery" link on the left.
Important Upcoming Events
- April 6 - Alzheimer's Charity Game 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. Help support ACBL charitable causes. $1.00 additional game fee.
- April 5 - Regular Swiss Team game cancelled for Easter. The replacement date will be April 19th.
- April 7 - Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 9 - Unit Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 12 - Club Championship Game at 2:00pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 14 - Unit Championship Game at 6:30pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 15 - Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 17 - Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 19 - Swiss Team game.
- April 21 - Club Membership Game at 6:30pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 26 - Non-Life Master/Life Master and Club Championship Game at 1:00pm. Life Masters pair up with Non-Life Masters for this great pairs game! Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 28 - Inter-Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Complete against players at clubs around the country. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- April 30 - Alzheimer's Charity Game 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. Help support ACBL charitable causes. $1.00 additional game fee.
- May 4 - Unit Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 6 - Club Membership Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 8 - Unit Championship Game at 10:00am. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 12 - Club Championship Game at 6:30pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 15-May17 - St. Charles Sectional. Center will be closed in support of this Tournament.
- May 23 - Club Championship Game at 6:00pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 27 - Inter-Club Championship Game at 10:00am. Complete against players at clubs around the country. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 30 - Club Championship Game at 1:00pm. Higher masterpoint awards. No additional game fee.
- May 31 - Bridge in a Day at 9:00am. Phyllis Siegel is offering the ACBL's Learn Bridge in a Day program from 9:00 to 4:00. This is a great opportunity to learn the game in just one day. Please click on the "Training and Education" link on the left for more information.